- Presentation by Dominic Brain, March 2nd 2022
- The Forum and the University of Chester hosted a Presentation by Dominic Brain from Christian Aid entitled “Disaster Resilience and Social Safety in Nigeria”. Notes from the meeting: Notes on Dominic Brain presentation 02Mar22
- Meeting with MP, January 25th 2022
- The Forum was pleased to meet with City of Chester MP, Chris Matheson, on January 25th. Report on the meeting:
- 220125 Meeting with MP 25Jan22
- Chester COP26 Exhibition, November 6th 2021
- CWDF was pleased to go “out and about” again at last! We had a stall at the Chester COP26 Exhibition in the Cloisters of Chester Cathedral on Saturday November 6th. We were pleased to chat with Real People and to distribute our new leaflet.
MEANWHILE … CWDF members were out and about at COP26- related events elsewhere:
- CWDF AGM, 11 MAY 2021
Here are the minutes of the meeting, along with notes of the talk by Henry Sidsaph, and CWDF Chair Terry Green’s round-up of what has, for everyone, been a very difficult year coping with the pandemic:
- CWDF “EXTRA”, 12 APRIL 2021
This was the first of our “Extra” sessions, utilising the possibilities of Zoom to host a meeting between the dates of the regular bi-monthly Forum meetings. In this session we took up the offer of a talk by professional photographer Jim Holmes about the Lower Mekong Basin – an area in which he had worked over a number of years, including commissions with the trans-national body the Mekong River Commission.
Here is the note of Jim’s very interesting talk: Jim Holmes – Lower Mekong 12-4-21
- CWDF FORUM-BY-ZOOM, 8 SEPTEMBER 2020
Our Forum business agenda was preceded by a talk by Namrata Bhattacharya-Mis, Gill Miller’s successor as Senior Tutor in International Development at the University. Namrata’s talk ‘Twin peril of Disaster among Pandemics – Reflections from the Global South” was based on her research interests, which this summer focussed on India and Bangladesh following the super cyclone which hit the area on May 20th 2020.
- CWDF FORUM, 14 JULY – CANCELLED
CWDF Committee held a Zoom session on Monday 8th June to review activities given prospects for the gradual easing of the lockdown. Many uncertainties remain both for the near term and longer term. However, it was clear that it would be impractical to hold the scheduled Forum meeting on 14 July – and if current social distancing requirements hold we will need to assess the suitability of our regular meeting venues.
This Zoom session was a “first” for several of our Committee, but it worked well, and experience elsewhere suggests that Zoom meetings – at various scales – can provide a useful (but very incomplete) replacement for face-to-face gatherings until circumstances change. We will shortly be circulating our members to ask them about their experience with Zoom and whether they have the necessary facilities to take part in Zoom sessions.
The Committee will be Zooming again on Monday 6th July, hoping to take matters forward.
- CWDF AGM, 12 MAY – POSTPONED
In the light of the Coronavirus pandemic and lockdowns the CWDF Committee has decided that the next Forum meeting on 12th May should be cancelled, with the AGM held on a later date – sometime after the lifting of the present lockdown. In the meantime our latest mailing includes the Annual Report prepared by our Chair, Terry Green: CWDF Annual Report April 2020
The latest Diary gives an indication of the scale of the cancellations and postponements of meetings and activities in our local area: Diary-2020-version-22-04-20 Our dearest hopes must be that the nations of the world will be united in finding the medical solutions and the care resources necessary throughout the world – in developed and developing countries alike.
- CWDF March Forum – Talk on “Jamie’s Fund”
Here are the notes of the Forum meeting held on 10th March. The meeting was preceded by a very informative talk from the Shuttleworths about their involvement with “Jamie’s Fund” which was set up in support work concerning mental health development in Kisiizi, Uganda. Forum mins 10-3-20 plus Shuttleworth talk
- Climate Change update by Colin Watson at CWDF Forum 41-1-20
Here is the note of Colin’s talk: Colin Watson climate change update 14 1 20
And here are the PDF versions of the 2 PowerPoint presentations – the 1st tailored to CWDF, the 2nd given to the Chester Sustainability Forum:
- “Degrowth” presentation by Natalia Jancewicz, 12-11-19
Here are notes of the talk given by Natalia to the Forum meeting on 12th November 2019 – a descriptive note, and a link to the pdf version of the PowerPoint presentation.
- “Responding to the Imperatives of Climate Change”: University/ CWDF joint meeting 27-11-19
Very informative and well-attended lecture by Dr Jane Fisher, Centre for Alternative Technology, Machynlleth: The presentation included material drawing from the Centre’s publication Zero Carbon Britain – the latest edition of which was due to be published the following day.
Here’s the link to the pdf of Jane’s presentation (which with Jane’s kind agreement can be freely shared): Responding to the imperatives of CC
And here’s the CAT link that gives access to the ZCB publication: www.cat.org.uk/new-report-zero-carbon-britain-rising-to-the-climate-emergency/
- CWDF Forum meeting 10-9-19 – Wetlands talk
Here are the notes of the talks given by Andy Scargill and Dr Christian Dunn , plus the pdf version of the PowerPoint presentation – with Christian’s kind agreement:
- Global Climate Strike 20-9-19
Very good turnout in front of Chester Town Hall, drawing from all age groups. Good range of speeches and impressive display of placards and banners. (Click on different portions of the panorama to enlarge)
- “The Time Is Now” Climate Coalition Lobby 25-6-19
Chester people joined over 12,000 people in Westminster to tell our politicians #TheTimeIsNow to end our contribution to climate change and restore our natural environment. Pictures here of meeting with Chris Matheson MP.
- CWDF AGM 14-5-19 – Minutes and Notes
Here are the minutes of the AGM held at The Unity Centre: Mins AGM 14-5-19
And here are the notes of the talk given by Shantele Janes prior to the business part of the AGM: Shantele Janes talk AGM 14 5 19 Shantele is Director of CHAWREC, the Cheshire, Halton & Warrington Racial Equality Centre, which is based at The Unity Centre. Shantele gave us an outline of CHAWREC’s overall activities, then looking in more detail at their work with asylum seekers and refugees.
- CWDF AGM 14-5-19
In readiness for our AGM on Tuesday 14th May here is Terry’s Annual Report for the period May 2018 – April 2019: CWDF Annual Report May 2019
Prior to the AGM business we’ll be hearing from CHAWREC Director Shantele Janes about their work – with particular reference to their work with refugees and asylum seekers. (CHAWREC = Chester, Halton & Warrington Racial Equality Centre. Their headquarters is The Unity Centre, where we have our CWDF Forum meetings.)
- Christian Aid “Big Shift” campaign
Message from Katy Rowe: We braved the bad weather on 4 April and lobbied HSBC to reduce their fossil fuel investments!
- Talk on COP 24, Krakow
A note of the talk given by Catherine Green given to the Forum on 19th February 2019. Catherine was part of the CAFOD contingent at the Climate Change gathering. Catherine Greens Report 19 2 2019
- Finance and debt in the global economy
A note of the talk given to the Forum on 5th March 2019 by Nick Dearden, Director of Global Justice Now. Finance and debt in the global economy ND
- Chester Stop the War Conference on Palestine, 3rd November 2018:
There was a good attendance at the conference “Palestine; Reframing the Debate”. Joseph O’Neill has supplied a You Tube link to all the presentations: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLd7iHpo9XmzpSO49hdFKQPb5XjdYrPu4F
- CWDF 25-year Celebration:
Here are the PowerPoint presentations shown at the Celebration:
- CWDF 25-year Celebration, 22nd June 2018:
The celebration event proved to be a very enjoyable gathering – and Hoole Community Centre can be recommended as an excellent venue! We welcomed a number of supporters from the very early days, alongside more recent members. Chris Matheson MP and Christine Russell, former MP, were both there – giving encouragement for CWDF to carry on the good work for the next 25 years! We were also lucky that Linda and Romy Tiongco are currently back from the Philippines for a while, so they too were able to join us. (And Gill Miller’s mobile phone buzzed with a goodwill message from Gyles Brandreth!)
Here’s the above photo collage as a PDF: 25 Year event collage
- CWDF 25-year Celebration, 22nd June 2018: Here are the details of the celebratory event we are holding. Please RSVP to Ann McCarthy, preferably by Friday 15th June:
- Annual Report, April 2018: Here is the annual review prepared by CWDF Chair Terry Green and received at the AGM held on Tuesday 8th May 2018. CWDF Annual Report April 2018
- The work of Amnesty International: Note of talk given at the March Forum meeting by Mike Johnson, chair of the Chester & Wrexham Group of Amnesty International: Mike Johnson talk 13-3-18
- Fairtrade Fortnight in Chester: “Come on In!”
A couple of important events coming up in Chester to celebrate Fairtrade Fortnight 2018:
- Climate Change, Displacement – Christian Aid’s key campaigns for 2018: Note of a talk given to the January 2018 Forum meeting by Sarah Rowe, CA’s Campaigns Strategy Lead. Sarah Rowe talk 9-1-18
- “Fracking, not welcome here – or anywhere”: Here is a note of the very informative talk by Colin Watson, given to the Forum meeting on 14th November 2017: Fracking 14-11-17 And here is Colin’s edited version of his PowerPoint presentation: Fracking pptx
- Christian Aid’s “Big Shift” Campaign: On Thursday 26th October 2017, Forum members joined forces with Christian Aid members to take “Prudence Pig” to the Chester branches of the main banks. This was all in support of the CA campaign for the banks to put more of “our” money away from fossil fuel ventures and into renewables. For more about the “Big Shift” campaign go to … www.christianaid.org.uk/campaigns/climate-change/the-big-shift
…. and here are the photos Prudence Pig at four of the Chester banks [click for full size]:
- CWDF Forum, Tuesday 12th September 2017: the start of our 25th Year! We’d love to see you there …
- CWDF AGM 2017: This was held on 9th May 2017. Click here to view the Annual Report that was presented at that meeting. And click here to view a PDF version of the PowerPoint presentation “CWDF Sustainable Futures” that a group of University of Chester students showed at the AGM. The students had been commissioned to look at the operation of the Forum and to make recommendations on how it might make its membership broader and more sustainable.
- Talk by Stephen Twigg MP: Here is the note of the talk by Stephen Twigg MP, given in the Binks Building, University of Chester on 7th October 2016. The talk was on the work of the Commons Select Committee on International Development, which Stephen chairs.
- CWDF AGM 2016: The Forum’s AGM was held at The Unity Centre on 10th May. Click here to view the Annual Report that was presented, outlining the activities of the Forum over the previous 12 months:
- The Paris Agreement: Here is our note of the talk given by Rob Elsworth of CAFOD on 2nd February 2016, to a joint meeting of CWDF and the University of Chester’s Department of Geography and International Development: Note of Rob Elsworth talk 2-2-16 And here is the link to the pdf version of Rob’s full PowerPoint presentation: COP21_Chester_Event_020116
- Global Migration talk 20-10-15: Here is the PowerPoint presentation given by Paul Tacon to students and Forum members: Chester-migration-lecture-20-10-15
- CWDF Forum 8-9-15: Here is the PowerPoint presentation given by Gill Miller about the “Sustainable Development Goals” which UN teams are working on to succeed the Millennium Development Goals – and which are due for consideration at the Summit in New York, 25-27th September 2015: CWDF Post 2015 agenda Here are the notes to accompany the PowerPoint: Notes on SDG slides And here is a summary note incorporating a selection of the slides: Report of Gill Miller’s presentation 8-9-15
- CWDF Forum 14-7-15: Stephen Maund gave a very interesting presentation about the work of the charity RIPPLE Africa in Malawi. Here you can view the PDF version of Stephen’s PowerPoint presentation: RIPPLE Powerpoint
- CWDF AGM 2015: The Forum’s AGM was held at The Unity Centre on 12th May. Click on the image to view the Annual Report that was presented, outlining the activities of the Forum over the previous 12 months:
- “Food Matters!” This one-day conference, held on 16th November 2013, was the Forum’s key event of 2013. It was jointly organised by CWDF and the University of Chester’s Department of Geography and Development Studies, and held in the Best Building on the University’s Chester Campus, Parkgate Road. The Day explored the issues and responses to food insecurity in the developing world, featuring keynote speaker Patrick Mulvany and a choice of two from four workshops led by Action Aid, CAFOD, Christian Aid, and Oxfam. Here is the Summary Report of the proceedings.
Go to the Gallery page of the website for a selection of photos from the “Food Matters” day. The Forum meeting, Tuesday 10th December, included further thoughts on some of the issues raised in the discussions, and those the Forum should aim to follow through in 2014.